"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

Ephesians 6: 18-20

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Retry of Day 2 and Day 3

Saturday
Sorry we did not blog last night. The internet was down. So here are two days in one.
Very busy day. We went to the town square in Antigua. Beautiful and busy. Many women and their children dressed in native clothing selling their wares. Some were very persistant. Kadi was an especially easy target. We finally learned to put her in the middle of the group. Eye contact with the women is an open invitation. We learned how to haggle and made some good deals. FYI, $5 is equal to 40 quetzales.
Ater lunch we visited Casa Shalom, an orphanage in San Lucas. They house 50 children and have a school for 150. The children range in age from 5 months to young adults. In addition to their own children, they teach children from the local neighborhoods. Their goal is to raise the children into respectful and responsible young adults who have a love of Jesus Christ. These children have no real option for adoption, so Casa Shalom will be their home until they are 18. An awesome and amazing responsibilty for the staff. I was humbled by ALL of it.
During our time at Casa Shalom, we were able to help paint the main commons area and love on the children. Each member of our team was deeply touched. There was many a tear shed, but at the same time our hearts were lifted by how God has provided for these children. They are safe and loved!

Sunday
Today we went to church service at Iglesia Del Caminos in Antigua. I was blown away by the music ministry! My heart was soaring to hear the singing in Spainish and English. I would have loved to have a recording to play when I am back home.
After lunch we said goodbye to Antigua and El Palacio de Dona Beatrice, bought eight loaves of fresh bread and relocated to Clubhouse Guatemala. We are now staying in a home for term missionaries. It is true dorm living at its finest. There is a group from Knoxville, college interns, college students on summer break and us. Many people, small kitchen, few bathrooms and many new friends. THIS IS A VERY BUSY PLACE!
Sue and Alaina cooked spaghetti for dinner. Feeding many faces! While the kitchen was busy, a group of ladies were getting things ready for tomorrow. I went with a group to buy supplies for the week. Hugo Paiz was a little like a crazy Walmart. Think Gainesville Walmart times 10 in craziness. I really can't explain it.....just an experience I will never forget!
We are now winding down. Who's going to make it to the shower for hot water? Stay tuned to find out...... Oh, I understand there may not even be hot water......sigh.
Keep praying for us. We are definitly feeling His presence through our experices and GREAT devotional times each morning. We are very excited about the upcoming events this week and seeing His plans unfold. :)

April and Sue

2 comments:

  1. Hope today has gone well with Day 1 of Life's Healing Choices! Praying for open hearts and successful communication. Looking forward to reading more of what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I cannot figure out how to work this site. Hope you get this message of encouragement. Sounds like you are having a great time. It should be very spiritually fulfilling for you and the team. My best to every one. Enjoy the bounty of spiritual food that is available to you by being on this trip I am sure that many people will benefit. The residents of Guatemala may be touching your hearts, but your love and devotion is also touching theirs. 1 Tim 4:16-Pay constant attention to yourself and your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you. Stay strong. Share the scriptures. Chrystal

    ReplyDelete